Thursday, July 24, 2008

some thoughts

Wherever you are in the world, no matter what different backgrounds people come from, there is one trait you will always find. There’s always that person that feels so cool, that people look up to and envy while deep inside that person struggles to always remain at the top, always wanting to be cooler. And then there are the ones which struggle to fit in, want to feel part of the cool gang.

I usually don’t like spending time with wannabes. I like real people. Real energy. Real passion. Real feelings. But then you realise that these people did not have the opportunity to grow, to experience the cool things at a younger age. For them being cool is sooo now. For us, it’s so 10 years ago…

It’s my third week in Bangalore. And this is just my 3rd post in the blog. I wrote a lot in the beginning. But then every time I wanted to write, nothing came to mind… writer’s block? Not really. Thing is, once the shock was over, I felt like nothing else would shock me anymore to write. I feel as if I’m in a familiar place now. By European Standards, weird things happen here. 5 people get on two-wheelers, beggars without hands come and ask for money, parties end at 11:30 if you don’t know where to go, neighbours walk in and out of each others houses just giving each other small presents. LOTS of weird things happen here. But after the first week, I didn’t feel like I needed to write anymore. Because I adjusted. And it was only when 3 Maltese girls joined my NGO that I realized how I needed to open my eyes again.

They gasped and oohed at the crazy rickshaw driving. They loved the shopping and rock-bottom prices and shopped like true Maltese citizens. And they squealed in delight when they saw KFC. They ordered burgers… while surprisingly, I took two spicy chicken wings and two non spicy ones… and ate the non spicy ones just for the sake of it .. coz without spice, nothing tastes good anymore….

And yes, I gave in. I had to try eating with my right hand. It feels disgusting at first, but then you realise the rice tastes so much better when you mix it with your hand, cause it mixes better with the sauce. So there.

Not to worry. I have not changed much. I just confirmed my earlier thoughts. Some people are happy to live in our little Island and maybe visit developed countries where they can just squander their riches on material stuff. Others want to see the world. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying the first one is wrong and the last one is right, but just because you’re not interested in visiting the rest of the world, don’t look down on us because we look at the world like little kids, and are always curious to know more. Open you eyes, or live and let live…

I think that what India showed my most, is that all around the world, people always behave in the same ways. Some want to be superior to others. And others struggle to reach that level. A girl I met in a club came up to us, put this fake American accent and asked me ‘So girl tell me, what brings you to india?’ And I replied… ‘I’m working in an NGO..’ Pretty little bimbo seemingly aged five replies… ‘An NG-what?’

Grr Spoilt Rich Kids.

I have nothing against riches.

I love buying stuff myself

But when people decide money is enough instead of brains, then it drives me up the wall...

No comments: